I am am a self proclaimed night owl, lately I have been struggling to change my night routine so that I am able to wake up earlier without feeling tired – I have not yet succeeded though. Being a night owl means I stay up watching series or I start packing cupboards or my biggest weakness sitting on my phone scrolling through Instagram/Twitter or Youtube. I also sit up thinking about work projects I am busy with and how I can improve on them or about trips I am planning even blog posts I need to write…Life I guess.
If you are like me and get distracted quite easily, then just know that it is normal. Sadly sleep problems constitute a global epidemic that affects health and quality of life for up to 45% of the world’s population.
Here are 5 things I am doing to help me sleep at night:
- Social Media: I have decided to stop looking through my social media Apps before bed time as I get distracted and the screen brightness keeps me up longer. I need to make sure i am letting my mind relax 20-30 minutes before I go to bed.
- Warm Drink: Especially in winter, it does soothe the soul. i am not much of a tea drinker but some hot chocolate/lemon with warm water or even some coffee – not too strong. It will make your feel warm and snugly.
- Reading: eading helps your mind relax and helps you sleep. I have been very bad lately with my reading but now that I am not allowing myself to get obsessed with TV shows I am making more time to read. I am currently reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. As soon as I am done I will do a book review on my blog if you would like.
- The Right Skin Care products: Dermalogica’s Sound Sleep Cocoon gel-cream is formulated with motion-activated essential oils to soothe senses with aromatherapy and promote deep, restful sleep for healthier-looking skin. So not only are you looking after your skin, this product smells great and helps you get a better nights sleep! Because skin is best able to absorb active ingredients at night, Sound Sleep Cocoon delivers active ingredients while you sleep to transform skin by morning. It also helps to infuse skin with essential hydration that’s lost throughout the day. This product delivers advanced ingredients that work with and optimize the skin’s natural active overnight repair & recovery process. It is now available in selected salons and online directly on the Dermalogica website. what makes this product even more special is that it comes with a sleep App, huh, you might say, well this App has binaural beats are a high-tech way to relax your mind and prepare for deep, restful sleep. Here’s how they works:
– Two different sound frequencies play, along with a soothing background audio track
– Your brain “hears” the difference between the two frequencies, and responds by quickly cycling to a state of deep relaxation. (In other words, you fall asleep more quickly!)
- Sleep Wear: I find that by wearing the right pj’s it helps me get comfy and have a better nights right. I am not the kind of girl who goes to bed in sexy lingerie, then I will rather sleep naked!
So what do you do to help yourself sleep better at night?